Alors que démarre la 44e session du Comité du patrimoine mondial, l’ABFPM dévoile un nouvel outil de médiation destiné à tous : le Petit illustré...
Saumur’s theatre, which had been closed to the public since June 2008, reopened its doors on Tuesday 2 December 2014 with its first show sold out. The present building, which was designed by the architect Joly-Leterme in 1866, has undergone a number of successive restorations, above all following the destructions of 1940, which resulted in the present project, initiated in 2000.
Located on the banks of the Loire, at the confluence of the two market squares Place de la République and Place de la Bilange, Saumur’s theatre has always seen itself as symbolic of the modern city. In the 18th century, the first theatre was designed as a new entrance to a renovated and embellished city and, following in its footsteps, its 19th-century replacement aimed to be a lesson in neo-classical architecture.
The restoration project launched in 2007 provided for full modernisation of the building while respecting the integrity of its architectural envelope.
Outside, its metal framework has given way to an imposing zinc and slate roof, which is set on a self-supporting structure rather than on the theatre’s venerable walls, giving the dome foundations of its own.
Stage and stage-well have been modified to enable a variety of configurations with proscenium, theatre in-the-round, orchestra pit, tiers for lyrical and symphonic works, and a backstage opening on to Place de la République. The building also contains an audition room and a lecture hall.
Bien reçu !
Nous vous répondrons prochainement.
L’équipe de la Mission Val de Loire.